While pool alarms may come with many more features than are presented here, the following is a list of recommended features to look for when deciding on a pool alarm for your own backyard swimming pool:
- Easy installation
- Tamper proof
- Includes a remote receiver with a range of up to 200 ft or more
- Low battery indicator on alarm and on receiver
- Recommended for the size and shape of your swimming pool
- Able to detect an object as small as a 1 year old child, approximately 18 pounds
- A loud and distinct alarm should sound within 20 seconds when a child simulator is dropped into the pool.
After you decide which pool alarm you need, performing regular tests of the alarm’s effectiveness will ensure that your alarm continues to function properly over time.
Finally and most importantly, no swimming pool alarm is totally infallible no matter how many technologies and features it has and no matter what claims are made by the manufacturer. Pool alarms should be considered as one of many layers of protection in the effort to halt children from drowning, along with protective barriers, door alarms, and safety pool covers.